Thursday, August 28, 2008

The EGO causes all evil

My dear and close hearts,

Greetings to you all.

This week's poem is from Saint Kabir's poetry. Sri Bhakta Kabir lived between 1398-1458. By birth he is born in a humble weaver's Muslim family, but he preached and practised all religeons as one and firmly advocated this in his teachings. He is an ardent bhakta of Sri Rama and wrote poetry on HIM.

See this couplet below. These are called Doha's (two liners or couplets) written in Hindustani (which is very close to Urdu)


जब मै था तब गुरू नहीं‚ आब गुरू है, मै नहीं

सब अंधियारा मिट गया‚ जब दीपक देख्या मांहि

jab mai Thaa thab guroo naheen‚ ab guroo hai, mai naheen

sab andhiyaaraa mit gayaa‚ jab dheepak dhekhyaa maanhi

జబ్ మై థా తబ్ గురూ నహీఁ, అబ్ గురూ హై, మై నహీఁ

సబ్ అంధియారా మిట్ గయా, జబ్ దీపక్ దేఖ్యా మాన్హి

Purport

When the EGO was strongly rooted in me, Then I couldn't realize the Guru (the Guru of all Gurus - is the God). Upon realizing the God (Guru) within me now, all my EGO is uprooted. (I am serene and tranquil). All the illusion or darkness is shattered, when the illumination within (the Alimighty) shines brightly in me.

Message: EGO or Aham Kaaram is the root cause of all evils. It draws us away from purity and glory. Sans Ego, we realize our inner power to the full.

We will meet next week. Bye till then,

Regards
Dr Sarma

No comments: